Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Off Season Update

So I guess it's about time for me to chime in on how the off season is and has been going. First let's recap: After the Penguins won the Cup the Oilers made a somewhat surprising move in hiring not just Pat Quinn as their new head coach, but also added Tom Renney as the "associate" coach. Many speculated that both were heavy candidates for the vacant position, but I don't think many considered the possibility of landing both of them. After having some time to ponder this move, I really don't see anything bad about it. It seems that our coaching staff has just been significantly been upgraded and has more depth.

Next, the rumors, oh the rumors. The draft was quickly approaching and as per usual the trade rumors started flying. In the end nothing overly exciting happened aside from Brodziak being flipped to The Wild for a couple late round picks. I liked Brodziak 2 season ago, his rookie year, but this past season I really could have taken or leaven him. I think the organization was hoping that he may emerge as a replacement for the previously traded Jaret Stoll, but this never happened. He became somewhat of a spare part on the 4th line who really didn't add much. He wasn't particularly physical, and didn't add much energy like he had on the line consisting of him, Stortini, and Glencross the season before. Considering how many contracts we have, and some of the younger guys on the farm needing some NHL ice time, like Brule and Schremp, this is a move that really made sense and is low risk.

And finally.... Heatley-Gate. I've been trying to reserve judgment on this for a while, simply hoping that it would eventually work itself out. Either him becoming an Oiler, or getting traded to another team but giving us all some closure. Ever since the supposed "deadline" prior to July 1st, we have all been left in this state of purgatory while Mr. Heatley decides weather or not he is willing to grace the Oilers Jersey with his presence. I for one don't give a rats ass what he thinks about Edmonton as a city, or the extra pressure that the Canadian media will give him. After all I'm sure Ottawa is probably pretty similar to Edmonton in that regard, but I'm thinking he may want to leave the Canadian media all together. As far as I'm concerned as long as if and when he becomes an Oiler he gives it his all and contributes to making the Oilers better, I will welcome him with open arms. All the behind the scenes b.s. really doesn't concern me, at least once the season starts. We probably don't know the whole story anyway. For all we know when Management went to visit Heatley in Kelowna to convince him to come play for the Oil, they may have come to an understanding. Perhaps not, but the bottom line is, we do not know anything other than what the media tells us. As I said, I want what's best for the Oilers. Heatley, if committed, will be great for the Oilers. Any hard feelings will be erased as soon as he buries his first beautiful feel via #83.

Khabibulin signing. I like it. The general consensus is that it's maybe a few dollars to much and a year too long. I think I would fit in to that opinion group. 3.75M per for 4 years does seem like 1 year too long, however I really don't think the dollars are too bad assuming he can be solid in front of our progressing defense. I do like the fact that they brought in a vet rather than someone unproven. I like the fact that he has won a cup, and is comming off a decent playoff run. He should take over nicely from Roli and I think upgrade the position. Nothing against Roli. He was a great Oiler and will be cheered when he plays at Rexal this season as the visiting Goalie. Let's hope he gets the start.

We still have a couple of pending RFA's to deal with, Brule, Schremp, Smid. Grebeshkov, just resigned for a one year deal at just over a 3M cap hit. He will still be an RFA next summer, so this deal is low risk for the Oil. They don't want to be handcuffed next summer when Gagner and Cogs (providing he's still and Oiler) are due for new contracts. I like the signing. It could also inspire Grebs to have a career season while he plays for a contract next season. Up side of that would be, we get a solid season out of him this year, but also if we are sellers at the deadline we could trade him and likely get an inflated return on him. The obvious down side would be that he may be asking for the moon next summer when negotiations start. I'm thinking one way or the other Grebs being an Oiler to start the 2010/2011 season are slim, considering we have a couple prospects knocking on the door in Chorney and Peckham. Of course there has been plenty of speculation that Gilbert may be moved, or even Lubo or Souray. I like the idea of rolling with these 4 this season, but I can't see that working under the cap long term.

That's about it for now but I have been working on an off season project which I will begin posting next week. It will be a several part series of the history of how I grew up an Oilers fan. I figure the summer is as good as anytime to post something like that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment