Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The end of the MacT regime



Alright so what can I say here that hasn't been beaten to death over the entire season? It's no shock today as Oilers GM Steve "Tambo" Tambellini announced that Craig MacTavish has been relieved by the organization. MacT coached the Oilers for 8 seasons from 2000/2001 to 2008/2009. First the stats:

2000/2001:
93 points 39-28-12-3
6th place in the West
Lost in quarter finals to Dallas 4-2

2001/2002:
92 points 38-28-12-4
9th place in the West

2002/2003
92 points 36-26-11-9
8th place in the West
Lost in quarter finals to Dallas 4-2

2003/2004
89 points 36-29-12-5
9th place in the West

2004/2005
lockout

2005/2006
95 points 41-28-13
8th place in the West
Won quarter finals 4-2 over Detroit
Won Conf semi-finals 4-2 over San Jose
Won Conf finals 4-1 over Anaheim
Lost Stanley Cup finals 4-3 to Carolina

2006/2007
71 points 32-43-7
12th place in the West

2007/2008
88 points 41-35-6
9th place in the West

2008/2009
89 points 38-35-9
11th place in the West

To me the most glaring statistic throughout these 8 seasons is the fact that the Oilers have made the playoffs only 3 times. Prior to the lockout they could use the "small market" team excuse. The season following the 2006 cup run they could blame the sudden departure of one Chris Pronger, coupled with the teams collapse after the Ryan Smyth trade and not to mention a pretty injury riddled squad. Last season they came close but fell just short. This year was the year that I, and most Oilers fans, have had the most trouble with. They had the playoffs in their grip down the strecth and fell apart like a cheap tent in the clutch. This team had a different dynamic this year and I'm sure it goes well beyond what the media or the players themselves state publicly. One thing is obvious, the Oilers need a shakeup. They were not playing Oilers hockey this past season and MacT has taken the first bullet.

I'm not a MacT hater, though I do beleive it was time for a change. Perhaps even a year past time for a change. None the less here we are, our 2nd worse finish in 8 seasons, not even close to meeting our expectations and we have some salary cap issues ahead of us.

But first off, what do we do about a new coach? I would like to see someone with NHL experience from outside the organization. I'm not going to begin to sit here and say what makes a good NHL coach, or who the top candidates should be. But after listening to Tambellini's presser this afternoon it does seem to me like this team is ready to do what it takes to win. The GM spoke about accountabilty throughout the organization and it sounds like he has a plan.

He breifly touched on the idea of MacT staying on with the organization in some capacity but said that ultimately MacTavish would take some time and decide what's best for him. I've speculated about this in the past myself thinking that MacT would step down as coach to accept a position in upper management. While I do beleive Craig MacTavish has a great hockey mind, and will be an asset to whatever team in whatever capacity he is in, I think the Oilers would be best to move on without him for 2 reasons. 1, I think they need to move away from the "Ol boys club" and yes that means that I think Bucky, and Huddy should probably be on their way out along with the rest of the coaching staff. And 2, we need to inject new blood, and new perspective into the organization from the players up.

The team has stated that they want to pursue a more offensive style. Tambellini also mentioned today that a large priority will be to get bigger, tougher, and grittier something the Oilers haven't been in some time now. I watch them night after night get pushed around by less skilled teams. They let lesser opponents dictate the flow of the game. The Oilers for years have been always consistent at putting out a hard working, fast, and aggressive team. Not always the most talented, but as an opponent you knew a win vs the Oilers was going to be earned. This year was the first year that I can remember as an Oilers fan that they were a "gimme" for many teams in the league and even lesser opponents knew they had a good shot at beating the Oilers, especially at Rexall.

So where to next? I hope we get a great coach that can help our young players develop and dictate leadership throughout the roster. Perhaps our captains should also be reevaluated. Will the veterans be back next season? Moreau, Staios, Pisani? They're all under contract still but maybe it's time to change up the leadership group. I think Staios has served the team well but he could easily be replaced and the same goes with Moreau and Pisani. I think We'll be stuck with Horcoff and his contract, however I still beleive that he can be our #1 center if we can get an elite #1 left winger to play with him and Hemmer. But we've got months to kick all this around.

All in all, I like MacT and I wish him the best in whatever he does. I know I will circle the date on my calendar when the Oilers face him in the future, and I am pretty sure they will. I think he still wants to coach and I don't think he'll have a hard time finding work. Good luck Mac, you'll always be that helmetless #14 to me!

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment