Sunday, April 5, 2009

Game Review, vs Vancouver - Apr 4th 2009

Well, I have to say there is only 2 things I enjoy more than seeing the Canucks loose, the Oilers beating the Canucks and the Oilers beating the Flamers. Nice win, and an entertaining game. I didn't expect to be close in shots since the Canucks are pretty offensively aggressive and well, we are not. None the less hats off to Rollie for another stellar performance, and nice job by Gagner with a beautiful goal and 2 helpers.

I pretty much predicted this would happen. Not beating Vancouver specifically, but I figured the Oilers wouldn't go down without a fight and they would get us a little excited again, but ultimately fall short of the post season for a 3rd consecutive season. The Oilers fan in me still holds onto hope that we can win our last 3 vs L.A. and 2 vs Cgy. Calgary however is still battling for the division and let's face it they are a better team than us this year. Realistically we should be able to beat the Kings, and maybe split the home and home with the Flamers giving us 87 points on the season. That won't be enough and quite frankly even if we run the table and win our remaining 3 games to finish with 89 points it woul take a complete collapse by Nashville, St. Louis, and Minnesota for us to squeek into 8th.

I don't believe in the argument for tanking games to get a better draft pick. This team needs a strong finish, make it interesting, keep pressure on the other teams. Why? Because the kids need it, and the vets need to lead. This team hasn't come together all season as one cohesive unit and this is something they need to address in the off season. A strong finish will at least give them something positive to take into the long off season.

But for today, I feel good about the Oil for the first time in a while. I like the way they have played 2 games in a row and I am looking for a strong finish to the season.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment