Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Game Review, vs L.A. - Apr 7th 2009

So, we're now officially done following a 2-1 loss to the Kings combined with a St. Louis win last night. I mean we've been done for about 2 weeks now so this isn't really as heartbreaking as say last year when we were actually putting up a fight down the stretch. It's actually quite anti climactic to be honest. Normally we go on our hot streak through March/April and the fans are all kept on the edge of our seats/couches/computer chairs, but this year not so much. This team had the feeling of a "non-playoff" team for much of the season. When the Oilers beat the Blackhawks a few weeks ago I felt like we were turning a corner and were going to make it. But then the loss to Minnesota followed by the collapse vs Detroit seemed to spawn the proverbial late season collapse that we aren't really accustomed to.

However back to last night's game, what can I say. We had chances, we put up shots, we could and probably should have won that game but we ran into a hot goalie and some bad bounces. No excuses though, good teams will win that game, and well we are just not good enough yet. I'm not going to bag on them too much though. We still have a young team that at times have shown glimpses of the talent they possess. We've got all summer to reflect and analyze.

My post on Monday I made a pretty bold prediction. I said Wayne Simmonds of the L.A. Kings would score and guess what? He scored the winning goal at 3:46 of the 1st period. I'm on fire! Perhaps I jinxed the game with my L.A. scoring prediction and shutout references. If we had of been actually in the playoff race I may feel guilty, but alas I don't.

So we wrap up the 2008/2009 season with a home and home back to back series with Calgary on Friday and Saturday. I think I may even go to the bar and watch one of them. I think we will split the 2 games, winning the home game on Friday.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment