Monday, April 6, 2009

Off day drivel...

Tomorrow night we play the Kings in what will be another tease from our sunken Oilers and their playoff hopes. None the less I'm hoping for a big win. I don't mean big as in a 7-1 shellacking, or dare I even say it a shut out (hah, look I jinxed it a day before!) I mean I want to see a hard played game where we show the Kings that we are the better team. Play like we played against the Canucks or the Sharks, gain momentum heading into the 2 final games vs the Flamers.

This brings me to some random thoughts. I'm not too familiar with the Kings roster aside from the big guns, but they also have the greatest hockey name on their squad. Now before you roast me over the coals, who is the greatest player ever? Obviously #99 Wayne Gretzky. My last name is Simmonds and though I'm not much of a hockey player these days, I did win goalie of the year once in my floor hockey league in my teens? That's gotta count for something! Plus I love the number 17 for a jersey number. Who is this masked man? Playing right wing for the Los Angeles Kings, #17 in your program: Wayne Simmonds! I think the Oilers need to find a way to pick him up this summer, not great numbers only 6-12-18 in 78 games this season, he's tall and lanky?

Ok maybe we don't need him, but when we beat the Kings tomorrow night, and assuming we don't shut them out (damn, I jinxed it again in one post!) I'm calling Wayne Simmonds scores a goal! That's right, you heard it here first! Just like in '06 only moments before Tobbey Peterson scored his one playoff goal, I called it. Really I did, I had witnesses that can confirm this happened. Mind you we were pretty drunk, but it happened.

All kidding aside, let's hope for a an entertaining game tomorrow night and a big win!

2 comments:

Ontario Oilfan said...

I think that a few years ago, the LA Kings may have come knocking on your door as a goaltending prospect. It's crazy to see how such a good young team can play when they have some consistent goaltending; they haven't had that since.. well... When's the last time they had consistent goaltending?

Next year the Kings could be a serious threat for the playoffs and this year we've seen hints of what they're capable of; their young core is one of the best in the league, definitely right up there with Chicago for best in the West. Looking at the standings, tomorrow's game should be a no-brainer. Looking at the fight they're putting up against Calgary tonight, the Oilers will need to be on top of their game for a third night in a row.

They do need a big win, if they don't get it, they're toast.

John Simmonds said...

Well despite the need, we lost and we're done. I did however get my Wayne Simmonds goal!

Post a Comment