Thursday, April 2, 2009

Oh my, what have they done...

Well, did I pick the wrong time to start an Oilers blog or what? Here I thought I would start my blog right before the Oilers make their return to the playoffs, but no. Instead before I've made 5 posts on this here blog, the Oilers tank and there playoff hopes for this year are hanging only by a fraying thread. I thought, gee I love the Oilers, I contribute to other blogs and forums why not start my own? I mean, there's no way in hell they'll miss the playoffs for a third straight year right? Well guess what folks, it's happened. I'm too lazy and uninterested to look up the stat at the moment, but have the Oilers ever gone 3 years in a row with no post season? Maybe I'll muster up the interest at some point to look it up. But for now, I could care less.

Tonight we face the NHL leading San Jose Sharks. Let's just go out and bomb this one, I mean what's the point. But I can see the Oilers coming out in the next five games with energy and intensity and heart, make a run of it but ultimately fall short, probably with the Flamers putting the last nail in our coffin.

You know what, I love my Oilers and always will but this has been a tough season as an Oilers fan, more so than recent years. I mean, what's with this team? Why do they completely lack the intensity that has always been a trait of Oilers hockey? Even during the gloomy seasons in the mid 90's and early 2000's if nothing else they always played a fast and intense game. A road team visiting Edmonton may have been able to leave with the 2 points, but they would always have to earn them. Now, it just seems trivial.

This season, the Oilers are one of the best road teams in the league, and one of the worst home teams. Has the pressure caught up to them at home? Has MacT lost the room? Do the players care? I'm not going to sit here and guess what the problem is with this edition of the Edmonton Oilers, but one thing is apparent, SOMETHING is wrong.

I'm not one of those people that think this is all the coaches fault either. However, like many others I think MacT's tenure has run it's course. Maybe even a season or 2 over. Regardless, he has one year left on his contract after this season and playoffs were an expectation this year. I have liked him at times as a coach, but without knowing what actually goes on behind closed doors, or on the ice at practice, or in meetings with the players how do we really know how he operates or how he truly runs the team. All we see is what happens on the ice. The Oilers powerplay has historically struggled under MacT, but Penalty killing has usually been excellent. At least until this year. That leads me to believe it's more of the players not executing, or better yet not having the right players this year. Can't pin that on MacT.

But before I sound like a supporter of the man to formerly wear #14 with your beloved Oil, I must restate, he needs to go. It's time for some new blood. This team has been trying to adopt a more offensive system this year, so let's get an appropriate coach. I'm not an expert on who's available for a replacement, so I will leave that for others to debate. I just think this team is trying to turn a corner and they've got caught up on the curb. Maybe they even hit a mailbox too. Something's got to give.

Perhaps I'll end my rant now and save the rest for the off season, lord knows it's going to be another long one.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment